2. Post the first sentence of each book. (If one sentence seems too short, post two or three!)
3. Let everyone try to guess the titles and authors of your books.
1. I am doomed to remember a boy with a wrecked voice -- not because of his voice, or because he was the smallest person I ever knew, or even because he was the instrument of my mother's death, but because he is the reason I believe in God; I am a Christian because of Owen Meany.dawtheminstrel guessed this!
2. The island of Gont, a single mountain that lifts its peak a mile above the storm-racked Northeast Sea, is a land famous for wizards.juno_magic guessed this!
3. When Mr. Dildo Bugger of Bug End grudgingly announced his intention of throwing a free feed for all the boggies in his part of the Sty, the reaction in Boggietown was immediate -- all through the messy little slum could be heard squeals of "Swell!" and "Hot puppies, grub!"juno_magic guessed this!
4. The Fossil sisters lived in the Cromwell Road. At that end of it which is farthest away from the Brompton Road, and yet sufficiently near it so one could be taken to look at the dolls' houses in the Victoria and Albert every wet day.dawtheminstrel guessed this!
5. Everything starts somewhere, although many physicists disagree.thunderatiger guessed this!
6. Alex barely lived eight years. That's not long at all. Why, looking back, it seems as if it took her much longer than that just to die.
7. In 1910, the surgeons Moreau and LePrince wrote about their successful operation on an eight-year-old boy who had been blind since birth because of cataracts.
8. I can't shake the feeling that I've lived this moment before. Maybe that's because, like Jennifer Lopez walking into divorce court, I have lived this moment before -- over and over, again and again, for close to ten years now.
9. Like many fathers, mine could occasionally be prevailed on for a spot of "airplane." As he launched me, my full weight would fall on the pivot point between his feet and my stomach. It was a discomfort well worth the rare physical contact, and certainly worth the moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.
10. [Original] Diese Inschrift stand auf der Glastür eines kleinen Ladens, aber so sah sie natürlich aus, wenn man vom Inneren des dämmerigen Raumes durch die Scheibe auf die Straße hinausblickte.
[my translation] This inscription stood on the glass door of a small shop, but of course, it only looked like that when one looked out from the gloomy interior through the glass onto the street.juno_magic guessed this!