?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

When Grad Students Fight Sickness

After feeling generally kind of bleh yesterday and skipping Fundamentals of Teaching Writing (Yiddish was canceled anyway, since the professor is still on vacation), I woke up this morning with a bad sore throat. The rest of me feels okay enough to go to class, but I don't want to be called on to contribute to the discussion because I'm not sure if I'll be able to talk. In order to ensure this, I made a little note for my professors explaining that I have a sore throat and will be unable to speak in class today.

It's in three languages: Hebrew, Yiddish, and English. Such is my life.

By the way, to rhobike, lcohen, or canyon_lady, whoever sees this first: I'm scheduled to host on Thursday. At the moment, I'm physically up to having guests, but not up to singing. (Snacks, of course, will be made wearing foodservice gloves to protect innocent singers from germs.) Should I continue to be scheduled to host, or should someone cover for me? How late can I make this decision?

Comments

( 28 comments — Leave a comment )
lcohen
Nov. 27th, 2007 05:56 pm (UTC)
i won't be there so it's easy for me to talk--i would get a replacement since odds are that you'll feel worse tomorrow, not better. (i have a dress rehearsal tomorrow.) feel better soon!
lcohen
Nov. 27th, 2007 06:42 pm (UTC)
somehow i decided today was wednesday, but my recommendation stands.
frenchpony
Nov. 27th, 2007 07:17 pm (UTC)
Perhaps I'll shoot Jim an e-mail and see if he can do an emergency host.
rhobike
Nov. 27th, 2007 06:16 pm (UTC)
I would say just have it at my place, but actually I think I'm coming down with a bit of a cold myself . Anyway, in general, I'm not that good at these decisions. I used to cancel all social engagements whenever I felt the first twinge of coming down with something, but I've gradually noticed that that doesn't seem to be the way things are done outside my immediate family. So I defer to lcohen's judgement.
jelazakazone
Nov. 27th, 2007 07:01 pm (UTC)
In my house, if you were standing and technicolor things were not emanating from your body, things went on. I think that most people are more conservative than my parents were though. Also, it depends on how well you function while under the weather.
frenchpony
Nov. 27th, 2007 07:18 pm (UTC)
I tend to like having the ability to sleep it off when I get sick. And I'd really prefer not to make myself sicker. If I host a singing, I don't know if I'd be able to host and not sing, and that might ruin my throat even further. We'll see what happens.
jelazakazone
Nov. 27th, 2007 07:53 pm (UTC)
Sounds like you know what needs to be done then:) Hope you feel better soon!
frenchpony
Nov. 27th, 2007 07:17 pm (UTC)
I guess it's better to put the call out sooner rather than later, right? I'll see if Jim can do it.
rhobike
Nov. 27th, 2007 11:11 pm (UTC)
Well, thus far my slight sniffle isn't getting any worse. So if Jim doesn't want to do it, please ask me tomorrow morning and if I'm still not worse, I'll say yes.
frenchpony
Nov. 27th, 2007 11:28 pm (UTC)
I also sent a note to Cathryn asking her advice. We'll see what happens tomorrow morning.
elliska
Nov. 27th, 2007 08:19 pm (UTC)
Yuck! Definitely don't sing! I hope you feel better quickly!
frenchpony
Nov. 27th, 2007 11:29 pm (UTC)
I do, too. Especially because exams are starting this week!
dot_o_choillmor
Nov. 27th, 2007 11:11 pm (UTC)
I'm just adding feel better wishes since I can't offer much advice on the singing thing. But take it as easy as you can and feel better soon!
frenchpony
Nov. 27th, 2007 11:29 pm (UTC)
I'm really hoping I get my voice back by Thursday. Because it's hard to take an oral exam in Yiddish when you can't speak . . .
gwynhyffar
Nov. 28th, 2007 01:41 am (UTC)
I really do hope you feel better soon, Pony, but I had to giggle that your note is in three languages.
frenchpony
Nov. 28th, 2007 02:11 am (UTC)
I have to have something to keep my spirits up when I'm feeling bleh. And my Hebrew teacher and my Sociology of Music teacher both thought it was funny. My Hebrew teacher complimented my grammar and expressed her sympathy at the same time.
canyon_lady
Nov. 28th, 2007 03:36 am (UTC)
I see that the call has gone out to move the singing--good choice! That way a) you might get better and b) fewer other people get sick.

I won't be there on Thursday...but I hope you feel better soon!
frenchpony
Nov. 28th, 2007 04:10 am (UTC)
Not infecting other singers is as good a reason as any to switch off hosting. And the ingredients for my singing snack will keep just fine till next time.
meggins
Nov. 28th, 2007 03:45 am (UTC)
Hope you're feeling better soon. I assume you have some home remedies for sore throat--like honey in tea or hot lemon water.
frenchpony
Nov. 28th, 2007 04:10 am (UTC)
Slippery elm bark tea makes Pony a happier camper.
perelleth
Nov. 29th, 2007 12:13 am (UTC)
I had to laugh about your writing three messages! :-) Hope you get well so soon!
frenchpony
Nov. 29th, 2007 02:08 am (UTC)
Well, gotta cover all my bases.
ns_tulkas
Nov. 29th, 2007 03:41 pm (UTC)
Ha'Chlama Me'hira!
frenchpony
Nov. 30th, 2007 04:28 am (UTC)
Todah rabah?

I think.

Sorry. Haven't learned that phrase yet.
ns_tulkas
Nov. 30th, 2007 08:15 am (UTC)
The literal translation is 'Fast recovery'; it means 'Get well soon'. Are you on the mend, then?
frenchpony
Nov. 30th, 2007 01:19 pm (UTC)
Ah. Thankee. And, yes, I'm definitely on the upswing. I might even make my 10:00 Hebrew exam today. If not, I can take it on Tuesday.
ns_tulkas
Nov. 30th, 2007 06:57 pm (UTC)
An exam on Friday?! Mean! Well, it's better than one on Sunday, I guess. Would ruin the whole weekend. Good luck on the exam!
frenchpony
Nov. 30th, 2007 09:19 pm (UTC)
Technically, yesterday and today are considered Reading Period, not exam time. But the language professors often offer students the option of taking those exams early, during Reading Period. I think that this is partly so that the students don't forget grammar information so quickly, and partially because the language profs want to take off early! Most students take them up on this offer, because they want to get those exams done and over with and have exam week free for paper-writing anyway.

But the language profs must allow students to take the exam during the scheduled time if they so choose, hence the option to take the Hebrew test today or Tuesday. I've actually opted to take it Tuesday, on the grounds that I'll be fully healthy then, and that everyone else gets to take it healthy, why not me, too?
( 28 comments — Leave a comment )