Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

When Grad Students Fight Sickness

After feeling generally kind of bleh yesterday and skipping Fundamentals of Teaching Writing (Yiddish was canceled anyway, since the professor is still on vacation), I woke up this morning with a bad sore throat. The rest of me feels okay enough to go to class, but I don't want to be called on to contribute to the discussion because I'm not sure if I'll be able to talk. In order to ensure this, I made a little note for my professors explaining that I have a sore throat and will be unable to speak in class today.

It's in three languages: Hebrew, Yiddish, and English. Such is my life.

By the way, to rhobike, lcohen, or canyon_lady, whoever sees this first: I'm scheduled to host on Thursday. At the moment, I'm physically up to having guests, but not up to singing. (Snacks, of course, will be made wearing foodservice gloves to protect innocent singers from germs.) Should I continue to be scheduled to host, or should someone cover for me? How late can I make this decision?


Nov. 27th, 2007 06:16 pm (UTC)
I would say just have it at my place, but actually I think I'm coming down with a bit of a cold myself . Anyway, in general, I'm not that good at these decisions. I used to cancel all social engagements whenever I felt the first twinge of coming down with something, but I've gradually noticed that that doesn't seem to be the way things are done outside my immediate family. So I defer to lcohen's judgement.
Nov. 27th, 2007 07:01 pm (UTC)
In my house, if you were standing and technicolor things were not emanating from your body, things went on. I think that most people are more conservative than my parents were though. Also, it depends on how well you function while under the weather.
Nov. 27th, 2007 07:18 pm (UTC)
I tend to like having the ability to sleep it off when I get sick. And I'd really prefer not to make myself sicker. If I host a singing, I don't know if I'd be able to host and not sing, and that might ruin my throat even further. We'll see what happens.
Nov. 27th, 2007 07:53 pm (UTC)
Sounds like you know what needs to be done then:) Hope you feel better soon!
Nov. 27th, 2007 07:17 pm (UTC)
I guess it's better to put the call out sooner rather than later, right? I'll see if Jim can do it.
Nov. 27th, 2007 11:11 pm (UTC)
Well, thus far my slight sniffle isn't getting any worse. So if Jim doesn't want to do it, please ask me tomorrow morning and if I'm still not worse, I'll say yes.
Nov. 27th, 2007 11:28 pm (UTC)
I also sent a note to Cathryn asking her advice. We'll see what happens tomorrow morning.


by Illsaysheis

Latest Month

July 2015

Page Summary

Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Tiffany Chow